Maxim Healthcare Services–Autism and ABA Therapy Services
As signs of autism begin to appear in a child's life, parents are usually the first to notice the symptoms. They may observe that their child is not responsive to other people, avoids eye contact, or engages in repetitive and sometimes harmful behavior. Raising a child is a rewarding and challenging time for any family, but when children are faced with the behavioral or developmental issues associated with autism, sometimes extra support and guidance is needed. That’s where we come in.
At Maxim Healthcare Services, our services are designed to meet the unique needs of children and their families, helping everyone overcome obstacles and create foundations for future success. In the comfort of a child's home, Maxim comes to the aid of children facing the challenges of autism by offering services such as Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA).
Maxim’s services do vary by office location, so please contact your local office today to determine if ABA therapy is available in your area.
What is Applied Behavior Analysis Therapy (ABA)?
Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) is the most comprehensive and effective approach to improving the lives of children and the families of children with autism. The ABA approach uses a mixture of psychological, educational, and developmental techniques based upon the needs of the child. This includes teaching social, motor, language, communication, and cognitive skills.
What is the purpose of an ABA program?
- Increase skills in language, play, and socialization
- Decrease challenging behaviors that interfere with learning and daily functioning
- Reduce or eliminate ritualistic or self-injurious behaviors
- Increase attention span
- Increase independence and improve adaptive skills
Studies have shown that ABA techniques are a proven treatment and the method of choice for treating individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) at any level. Even if the child does not achieve a “best outcome” result of normal functioning levels in all areas, nearly all children with autism benefit from intensive ABA programs.
Behavioral Services Include:
- Behavioral assessment and plan (performed by a licensed Board Certified Behavior Analyst, BCBA)
- Assisting the child to engage in or remain engaged in appropriate behaviors
- Minimizing the child’s challenging behavior
- Utilizing principles of reinforcement to achieve goals
- Providing time structured activities
- Collaboration with, and support for the parent, guardian, and/or individual who customarily provides care, in an effort to provide ongoing behavioral support
Autism is the most common condition of the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs), a category of neurological disorders marked by noticeable impairment in areas of development. It is typically identified within the first three years of a child's life, and is characterized by:
- Difficulties with social interactions
- Repetitive behaviors
- Verbal and nonverbal communication problems
- Obsessive or severely limited activities and interests
Asperger's Syndrome, a milder form of autism, is characterized by children who display autistic social behaviors but have advanced language skills.
For more information on the services that are available in your area for children with autism, contact Maxim Healthcare Services today.
Services offerings may vary by individual office location. Find a Maxim Healthcare Services office location near you.