Maxim Healthcare Services
Maxim Healthcare Services, Inc. is a provider of home healthcare, medical staffing and wellness services. The company, founded in 1988, is headquartered in Columbia, Md., with more than 360 offices nationwide. Maxim strives for a level of quality service that is unmatched in the industry.
In 2009, Maxim undertook a significant restructuring effort that included the appointment of Brad Bennett as Maxim’s chief executive officer, as well as the addition of several new senior leadership positions including:
- W. Bradley "Brad" Bennett, Chief Executive Officer
- Kevin Apperson, Chief Information Officer
- William "Bill" Butz, Chief Financial Officer
- Jacqueline "Jackie" Baratian, Chief Compliance Officer and Vice President
- Tim Kuhn, Chief Culture Officer and Vice President
- W. John Langley, M.D., Chief Medical Officer, Chief Quality Officer, and
- Toni-Jean "TJ: Lisa, General Counsel and Vice President
- Chris Powell, Chief Operating Officer, Maxim Staffing Solutions
The expansion of the Maxim’s senior leadership team has been focused on the addition of significant expertise in the areas of compliance and patient care. To further its compliance focus, the company has expanded its Compliance & Ethics Department and formed a Company Compliance Committee and Regional Compliance Committees.
Maxim’s Compliance & Ethics Department is a robust, inter-disciplinary team dedicated to supporting a wide range of audits and detailed transactions testing. This team has redesigned audit work plans, processes and tools and has restructured its issues management processes and systems to measure compliance more efficiently and effectively across the critical areas of operations.
In addition to these efforts, Maxim has undertaken several initiatives aimed at improving compliance throughout the organization. Employees at all levels and across all departments are involved in the development and implementation of Maxim’s compliance improvements, which include:
- Annual compliance training for all employees coupled with regular communications throughout the year designed to cultivate a culture of compliance throughout the organization.
- Policies and procedures that govern all aspects of the business have been comprehensively overhauled. New policies and procedures go through a thorough review and approval process, before they are rolled out via companywide communications and training, accompanied by procedural documentation and frequently asked questions. To date, more than 120 policies and procedures have been updated or revised and training on each has been conducted for all affected company employees.
To support its compliance focus, Maxim has also added new software systems to support clinical and billing compliance and enhance patient care. The Company has also restructured its compensation program to recognize employees for excellence in a variety of areas, once levels of clinical and compliance outcomes are achieved.
Expansion and Realignment of Resources
Maxim has made a significant investment in people and resources across the entire organization to develop the appropriate structure to effectively manage compliance and achieve high standards of compliance and clinical care.
- Clinical Team – Significant improvements have been made in the clinical team from company leadership to the local office level, revising the structure of the executive team to include a Chief Medical Officer and a Chief Clinical Office, hiring four new Vice Presidents of Clinical Affairs, and replacing a number of resources at the regional level. In addition, since the beginning of last year, the Maxim has hired 85 Directors of Clinical Services and nearly 450 new Clinical Supervisors and Case Managers to manage clinical affairs at the local office level and monitor the quality of care being delivered.
- Regional Directors of Education – Maxim has introduced the Regional Director of Education position to its regional leadership teams to facilitate more effective education and training for local offices. Since August 2010, Maxim clinicians and staff have successfully completed more than 850,000 training courses.