What is self-directed care or the Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP)?
Did you know that you can hire your own family member or friend to be your caregiver and they can be compensated for their services?
CDPAP is a Medicaid-funded program that allows you to choose your own caregiver and allows that caregiver to be compensated for providing care to you (based on program regulations).
This service is available to people who:
- Are New York Residents
- Qualified for Medicaid; and
- Have a chronic illness or disability as outlined in the program regulations
Take charge of your care
CDPAP is designed to give people living with chronic illness or disability more control over their care. It allows you to hire a personal friend or family caregiver to provide certain care in the home. It also allows your loved one to be compensated for providing care, such as the following, to you:
- Bathing, dressing, and grooming
- Grocery shopping
- Preparing meals and feeding
- Escorting to appointments and social events
- Assisting with medications
- Performing light housekeeping
- Entertaining (games, crafts, reading)
- Other activities of daily living
Most family members and friends are eligible to work as your caregiver. Parents may be eligible to work as a caregiver for an adult child (age 21 and older).
Let Maxim help
Through CDPAP, you are personally responsible for scheduling, recruiting, training, and supervising your caregiver. As a fiscal intermediary provider, Maxim Healthcare Services will provide you with administrative support so that you don’t have to take it all on yourself.
Here are some ways we help:
- Answering questions
- Completing required enrollment paperwork
- Onboarding caregiver (remote or in person)
- Timekeeping via smartphone app
- Making routine visits to your home
- Providing caregiver benefits
- Assigning a Maxim representative to you
- Offering annual required health assessments
- Communicating with you in your native language
- Matching caregivers for many languages and culture